Now We Are Free - Chapter Five

Scratching By... Barely

    Oh no! This was quickly spiraling out of hand! Think fast! “Hang on, fellas! I’m a friend of Kelly’s. She called me and asked me to bring her her ID.”
    They both looked suspicious.
    “Look,” she laughed and looked as playful as she could under the circumstances, “I was just curious if I could get in as her. You know, a lot of people think we look alike. I suppose it might have worked if it wasn’t for such astute doormen.” What was she doing?! They obviously weren’t in for the flattery technique. Change gears before you lose them! “So, can you let me in now? I’d like to give her this myself.”
    “Erm, no I’ll have to take that inside.”
    “Oh,” she looked disappointed, which wasn’t far from the real feelings. “I was really hoping,” she approached this carefully, “that I could tell her myself...”
    “Tell her what?”
    “Well, I suppose I could tell Kelly when she gets home tonight, but it’s kind of urgent... and I wouldn’t burden you with telling her yourself, seeing how it’s kind’a personal...”
    “Tell her what?” he inquired again, slightly more interested now.
    “Well, when I stopped by her apartment to get her ID, I saw her cat... Mimi’s died, and I was hoping I could tell her in person because I know how close they were. So I hoped I could just slip in and tell her since is seems unfair to keep the news till her gets home. The shock and everything...” She hoped this would get her in, and that this Kelly person really did have a cat.
    The doorman nodded remorsefully, apparently the cat story striking a heart string. “Of course you can go in and tell her. I would just hate if one of my kittens passed away while I was a work.” He opened the door for her and added, “Just ask at the desk for her office number.”
    What luck! She was in! and all because this fellow had cats of his own. She walked confidently in, asked at the desk for the room number, which was previously given to her by the agency. The receptionist directed her to the elevators saying that it was on the sixth floor and to the left. Dez thanked her, headed off in that direction, and caught the elevator up with a group of anxious faced businessmen. The elevator dinged just like the one at the agency did. She was struck by the though of home, and possibly never remembering it if she failed this mission. That set a new resolve in her heart as she pealed off to the left, searching for room 147. She easily found it.
    Doing a quick go by, she noted that the office was empty besides the sharp nosed lady who was the owner of the jeweled clutch. Perfect, yet again things lined right up for her. She passed the glass walled office and ducked into a door with the sign of restroom above it. She glided to a stop in front of the mirror arranging her short cropped hair and glancing at a stack of paperwork on the counter. Without further inspection, she swiped up the stack of official documents and manilla file folders and headed back out the door.
    She sailed down the hall briskly, turning into the desired office. She switched to innocent secretary. “So, um, I was told by mister Brown to deliver these to you—” she was at the desk when she was interrupted.
    The lady looked sharply up and said just as sharply, “Mr. Brown? There is no Mr. Brown here! You must mean Mr. Brewet.”
    “Oh, uh, yes. I’m new here.” Her eyes scanned the desk. There is was! Siting right there!
    “Evidently,” The lady snapped.
    “Well, I’ll just leave them here,” Dez laid them on top of the handbag. Then she thumbed through them. “Oh, yes, let me just get some other papers for room 56. It saves time you know.”
    The lady scowled severely. “How does coming up here save you time? Room 56 is below Mr. Brewet’s office. What is the meaning of this? What is your name? Where is your name tag?”
    Oh no. I’m dead for sure. Dez’s mind raced, what could she say? This lady got her stuck in a tight corner. What should she do?! “Uh,” she grabbed the hand bag under the papers and lifted them under her arm. Get out now! “I guess it doesn’t save me time, now does it? Of course, I’ll remember that for next time. Thanks.” She was halfway to the door.
    “Where are you going? I demand to see you name tag and badge immediately!” The lady stood up.
    Dez had her hand on the doorknob. She yanked it open as the lady screamed at her then got on her intercom. “Security! Security to room 157! I have a female intruder escaping out into the hall!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now We Are Free - Chapter One

What Am I Doing Now?

Now We Are Free - Chapter Four